THE ROY SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The ROY Scholarship Program is one of ROY's Give Back Initiatives. It serves our broader effort for an inclusive yoga community that allows the teachings, practice and benefits of yoga to be assessable for everyone and across socio-demographic groups.
Our scholarships are about finding the bright sparks within our communities that have an existing and/or have a strong intent on humanitarian work. Yoga practitioners who have a deeply ingrained calling for service and those who are passionate about helping others. If you have a regular yoga practice, keen on using yoga in relation to community support and believe that you have the maturity to be a pillar of support read on.
For the right candidate/s, we are here to nurture you.
Scholarship applications are currently open for the following Teacher Training programs :
200hr Yoga Teacher Training Bali, May 2018 (Residential TTC) - Application Deadline 15th March 2018
200hr Yoga Teacher Training Bali, June 2018 - Application Deadline 15th April 2018
200hr Yoga Teacher Training Bali, August 2018 - Application Deadline 1st June 2018
WHO CAN APPLY
This is a grant based on good merit. It is open to individuals that have a regular yoga practice, ready to take the next step into teaching yoga and have a strong inclination towards social work.
The intention of this grant is to put fourth passionate and experienced yoga practitioner/s into a role of teaching and leadership. It is not open to practitioners & yoga teachers who have previously completed one or more teacher training courses.
Candidates must display :
(a) existing work experience in humanitarian / social service work or
(b) have a strong intention to contribute within these fields
(c) a willingness to fulfill pro-bono teaching commitments with a Partner Institute
(d) a willingness to fulfill all Post-Training commitments.
FULL TRAINING COURSE SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship grant includes
- course admission for the full teacher training course
- administrative and course manual fees
- 200hr teaching certificate upon successful completion of the course.
This scholarship grant does not cover accommodation, meals and daily expenses. Candidates must be able to cover their own costs and are free to choose their own accomodation based on personal preference and budget. For Residential Trainings, the Candidate is housed together with the training group and covers the associated residential and meal fees of the venue.
Application / Pre-Training
Applicants are to submit his or her application truthfully.
A Partner Institute has to be nominated, discussed with and in consent with the Applicant's Post Training Teaching Commitments at their institute.
Full course attendance is a requirement for the teacher training certification. Candidates need to ensure their full availability for the duration of the training course selected.
Successful candidate/s attending the course are subject to the same certification requirements and commitments of his / her fellow participants in the yoga teacher training program.
End of training : A one-on-one sit down with the candidate will be scheduled in to discuss and create an action plan for the Post Training Commitments. Routes of Yoga will provide guidelines and measures on how to work with specific groups as well as discussing suitable yoga sequences.
Post Training Commitments
Pass it On - Upon successful graduation from the teacher training program, the candidate is committed to :
- teach a minimum of 24 free yoga classes at the Partner Institute/s of choice. Classes are to be taught at regular intervals and with a pre-determined timeframe. This is approximately a 3-6 month commitment (depending if classes are lead bi-weekly or weekly).
- keep a record and journal entry of each yoga session taught including the development of your yoga sequences as you go along.
- submit a 1000 word reflection at the completion of the 24 class Give Back cycle.
- Partner Institute is to provide a written testimony of the candidate's yoga classes and teaching as well as the Institute's observation on the well-being of the individuals being provided yoga classes.
POST TRAINING SUPPORT
Routes of Yoga will provide continual support for the candidate. Mentoring is available and will be discussed individually.
Suitable Partner Institutes are social organisations, institutes or charities with individuals under their care that do not have access to an existing yoga, mindfulness or wellness program and who would benefit from this addition. Some examples of Partner Institutes are
- Juvenile centres
- Children's home / orphanage
- seniors homes
- half-way houses
- Girls or Boys homes
- Special needs
In selecting a Partner Institute the candidate should consider the following :
- is there a demographic or age group you are interested in working with
- is the Partner Institute in your local community
- do you have easy travel access to and from the Institute
- are you comfortable liaising with the Institute
A written consent and agreement between the Partner Institute and the candidate for him / her to provide the outlined number of free classes has to be submitted as part of the scholarship application.
CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP / NOMINATION
If you are a Corporate / Social Enterprise / Charity / Individual that would like to sponsor a successful candidate's expenses (such as accommodation and airfare) or are a Partner Institute that would like to nominate a particular candidate in exchange for teaching commitments please contact us here.
Interested candidates are to fill out the application form on this page. This includes the following document submissions :
- written agreement with Partner Institute
- two references of existing humanitarian work and/or character references
- qualifications in related fields (if any) i.e personal training, pilates, psychologist, therapist, teacher, coach etc
You will receive a receipt of your submission with a time estimation on when you will be notified of your application status for your particular training course selected.
Candidates chosen for the next round will be contacted to either provide additional information or to arrange for a skype call.
The successful candidate(s) will receive a confirmation email on their scholarship award and will be formally enrolled into the training program. Scholarships are awarded out at least 3 weeks prior to the start of the course to allow for sufficient time to make your necessary arrangements and travel plans.
Aside from the obvious benefits of getting a scholarship grant ( ! ) the post-training teaching commitment allows the candidate to start teaching yoga soon after the completion of their yoga teacher training program. This is sometimes not the case and much gets forgotten after a course. The successful candidate
- gives back to the community - karma yoga
- has access to feedback and mentorship
- develop familiarity and ease teaching yoga
- get to test out and modify their yoga sequences in relation to a particular group over an extended period - An observation and refinement process highly beneficial in learning to become a good yoga teacher
- get a written testimonial from the Partner Institute
- gain valuable teaching experience that will aid in mock interview classes with yoga studios
The benefits to this scheme are multifold. Yes, it can be a win-win for everyone.
WANT TO APPLY FOR ANOTHER TRAINING COURSE ?
Make a Request here to be informed when the next scholarship application opens. ROY's newsletter will also keep you posted on our latest courses and news updates.
ASK A QUESTION
Need help or want more information ? Speak to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org